The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (MPIWG) is an internationally respected research institute of the Max Planck Society (MPG) with three research departments, several research groups, and a graduate school. At the MPIWG, around three hundred scholars from all over the world investigate the sciences past and present, working together on a collective, collaborative, and transdisciplinary basis. The MPIWG is renowned worldwide as a hub for reflection on the role of the sciences in politics and society. It is located in southwestern Berlin, close to the campus of the Freie Universität Berlin and other research institutions.
Department “Artifacts, Action, Knowledge” led by Prof. Dr. Dagmar Schäfer seeks to appoint
Two Student Assistants
for up to 19 hours per week
from March 1, 2024 (or later) until September 30, 2025
(with the possibility of extension)
Department “Artifacts, Action, Knowledge” studies the history of knowledge and action considering the changing role of artifacts: texts, objects, and spaces. Our research collectively examines the processes and structures by which people grappled with the materiality of existence. Through the analysis of everyday actions, we interrogate the boundaries and intersections between the inner workings of objects and all domains of life. Together these approaches allow us to pursue inquiries into historical epistemologies of action. For more detailed information, please visit the department website.
- research assistance
- supporting general administrative tasks
- supporting the organization of scientific events
- editorial work on scientific texts
- developing graphic designs
- assistance in creating and managing the group’s institutional and additional websites
- helping to maintain databases and digital repositories
- currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s program (in at least your second semester) or a Master’s program (first or second semester) at a university in Berlin or Brandenburg
- excellent language skills in German and English
- ability to read classical Chinese is considered an advantage
- good IT skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint)
- the ability to work both independently and in a team, good communication skills, a talent for organization
- an interest in research
- an interest in and enjoyment of work in an international research institution
- remuneration at the student employee rates of the MPG support for junior scientists and scholars: currently €12.33 per hour for Bachelor’s students and €14.33 for Master’s students who can demonstrate completion of their Bachelor’s degree
- working hours to align with your studies
- work in an international setting with staff and guests from more than forty countries
- close contact with all research and research-support units and the opportunity for direct, personal dialogue
- promotion of your professional interests and research interests
- use of the on-site reference library
- access to the wide range of training courses offered by the MPG’s Planck Academy
- occupational health management: weekly in-house yoga classes; regular information on courses offered by our partner health insurance companies
- a student representative for equal opportunities.
The Max Planck Society is an equal opportunity employer that strives to foster an inclusive workplace. As an institute of the MPG, the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science supports a working community for all free from discrimination and harassment. We explicitly encourage applications from qualified individuals who belong to groups that are often underrepresented in the workplace due to age, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender, nationality, race, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or religion.
Please follow the links to find out more about the MPIWG’s policies on gender equality and hiring practices for people with disabilities, as well as Germany’s anti-discrimination laws as outlined in the General Equal Treatment Act.
Please submit your application with complete documents, preferably without a photograph, through our application portal. Include cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of qualifications and employment references: