The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (MPIWG), Berlin, offers guest journalist residencies of up to two months each. This exciting fellowship presents the opportunity for journalists in all forms of media around the world to gain insight into the work of an international research institute. During their fellowship, Journalists in Residence explore current research in the history, philosophy, and sociology of science; network and engage with academic researchers; and carry out a journalistic research project on a relevant topic of their choice.
Program aims and structure
The aims of the MPIWG’s fellowship program are to:
- Support high-quality journalism in the history, philosophy, and sociology of science.
- Strengthen dialogue with and enhance the role of these disciplines within the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
- Promote the public dissemination of topics and perspectives from these disciplines, drawing attention to their value for the wider public and for discourse around contemporary social issues.
- Build long-term relationships and collaborations between journalists and researchers.
- Empower our researchers in developing media skills and in enhancing communication of their research to wider audiences.
Journalists in Residence are hosted by the Institute’s department or group that best fits their research proposal, and engage with the communications team throughout their residency. They are supported in their work through access to the Institute’s extensive library and research resources, engagement with researchers, attendance at colloquia and workshops across all research units, and their own desk space.
During their fellowship Journalists in Residence are also expected to deliver a workshop for the Institute’s researchers on a topic in journalism/communication, and to provide a brief summary report of their experience at the end of their residency.
Further details about the fellowship and our Journalist-in-Residence alumni can be found here: https://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/journalists-in-residence
Journalists in Residence receive an honorarium of €3,000 per month.
Dates and length of stay
Two consecutive months in 2024, dates of stay to be agreed upon offer.
Applying to the fellowship
We invite applications from journalists seeking to utilize the history, philosophy, and sociology of science in their reporting, and with a particular interest in exploring the value of these disciplines for public discourse around contemporary social issues. Applications from all formats of journalism (print, audio, video, radio, online, multimedia, data, etc.) are welcomed.
Submissions should include:
- A short cover letter outlining your interest and eligibility in applying to the program.
- Curriculum vitae showing evidence of experience in journalism.
- Three samples of your journalistic output, ideally with relevance to the program (as PDFs/links).
- Short outline (max. half a page) of your proposed research project during your stay, making reference to its connection to existing research projects and/or researchers at the MPIWG, as well as ideas for your intended journalistic output (find details of our current research here: https://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/page/research).
- Short pitch for a workshop format for the Institute’s researchers on a topic in journalism/communication (max. half a page).
- Details of your preferred fellowship dates (in 2024).
These documents must be submitted as single PDF files by August 14, 2023 (23:59 CET), via the following online portal: