The Max-Planck-Institute for the History of Science (MPIWG) is seeking a
Project Manager for Digital Projects, one year
at the earliest possible date.
Department III Artefacts and Action in Systems of Knowledge
Accountable to: Director, Head of Library, Head of Information Technologies, Digital Content Curator
Responsible for: project management for digital research projects of the Department. This includes, among others, supporting the Local Gazetteers Project, Drugs Database and the Visualizing Heavens project, organizing and overseeing the data collection and technical development as well as the research activities involved in the project.
Tenure: A full time position for 1 year.
Pay Scale: TVöD E13/E14, roughly comparable to assistant/associate professor. (For further reference see: http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/tvoed/bund/).
The Project Manager for Digital Projects will manage several digital humanities projects of Dept. III, including among others the Local Gazetteers Project, Drugs Database and the Visualizing Heavens project, to make sure the various projects progress toward their goals in technical development and data collection in order to support research. This position will be in close collaboration with the Director and the Digital Content Curator of Dept. III to set up roadmaps for these projects to execute the plans. The manager will liaise independently with research scholars, library staff, IT technicians, and content suppliers.
- Background in East Asian Studies, Library/Information Sciences, or Computer Science.
- Familiarity with historical sources on East Asia (digital and material), library categories and database/ data management/ digital humanities projects.
- Fluency in English and Chinese. Additional language skills are welcome.
- Profound experience in independent and pro-active project management combined with a sense for team-work.
- Ability to manage the complete project life-cycle of digital documentation materials, their use and analysis.
- Proficiency in digital humanities working methods (Metadata standards, mark up standards, GIS, mapping, and visualization tools).
- Programming and technical skills in text processing,
- Experience in software development and content-management systems.
- Aptitude for creating technical and training guidelines and documents.
The MPIWG is an international, interdisciplinary institute. International experience is highly desirable. There are no formal teaching obligations. Administrative responsibilities are decided in consultation with the Director and shared with other members of the scholarly staff. The MPIWG provides excellent support for research, including travel funds.
Scholars of all nationalities are welcome to apply; applications from women are especially welcomed. The Max-Planck-Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and encourages them to apply.
If after reading through this description and visiting the pages of department III (see https://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/en/research/projects/departmentschaefer), you have further questions, please contact Prof. Dagmar Schäfer (email@example.com).
For administrative questions or questions on the application process please contact Karin Weninger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your application should consist of a one page covering letter that addresses key selection criteria, a brief CV, and the names and contact details of up to three professional referees – ideally, as a single Word or PDF document with your name and the position title as the document’s name. Please also provide a work sample (link or reference welcome).
Only electronic applications are accepted.
Applications should be submitted no later than August 5, 2016, by 23:59 (CET) through our online application portal:
While all applications will be acknowledged by email, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted personally, and we appreciate your patience during this time.
Shortlisted candidates will be informed and should be available for an interview on August 12, 2016. If you already know that you are unavailable at this time, please make mention of this in your covering letter.
Position remains open until filled.