Founded in 2003, the European Society For The History of Science (ESHS), located in Paris, France, promotes European cooperation in the fields of history of science, technology, and medicine. Members of the ESHS are located throughout the world.
The purpose of the society is to promote European cooperation in the field of the History of Science understood in the broadest sense. In particular, the society aims to:
- Providing a high-level interdisciplinary European forum for research in the History of Science;
- Promoting cooperation between its members;
- Promoting the preservation of and access to scientific heritage;
- Promoting, assisting, and advising on the teaching of the History of Science;
- Advancing the education of the general public in the historical, cultural, and social aspects of science.
The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science joined the ESHS in 2021.