The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (MPIWG) is an internationally respected research institute of the Max Planck Society (MPG) with three research departments, several research groups, and a graduate school. At the MPIWG, around three hundred scholars from all over the world investigate the sciences past and present, working together on a collective, collaborative, and transdisciplinary basis. The MPIWG is renowned worldwide as a hub for reflection on the role of the sciences in politics and society. It is located in southwestern Berlin, close to the campus of the Free University Berlin and other research institutions.
Lise Meitner Research Group “China in the Global System of Science” led by Dr. Anna Lisa Ahlers, seeks to appoint a
for Data Analysis and Management
Starting on October 1, 2023 (or later) and until September 2025
for up to 15 hours per week
The Lise Meitner Research Group “China in the Global System of Science” explores science and scholarship in contemporary Chinese society, the impact of the political regime on developments in the country’s ambition to become a science superpower, as well as the features of international academic cooperation with China. The group welcomes researchers who combine methods from the social sciences, area studies, and other disciplines, to analyze the global dynamics of structures of science and their local varieties in the contemporary world.
- supporting the research group’s projects with data collection, forms of bibliometric/scientific data analysis/scientific data analysis
- general management of digital resources
- developing graphic designs
- assistance in creating and managing the group’s institutional and additional websites
- supporting project members with the organization of scientific events.
- currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s program (in at least your third semester) or a Master’s program (first or second semester) at a university in Germany
- enrolled in or with a background in data science/management, scientometrics, science of science, library and information sciences, computer sciences, science management, or any other subject area that seems suitable
- excellent language skills (in German and English as a minimum)
- the ability to work both independently and in a team, good communication skills, a talent for organization.
- remuneration at the student employee rates of the MPG support for junior scientists and scholars: currently €12.33 per hour for Bachelor’s students and €14.33 for Master’s students who can demonstrate completion of their Bachelor’s degree
- working hours to align with your studies
- work in an international setting with staff and guests from more than forty countries
- close contact with all research and research-support units
- promotion of your professional interests and research interests
- use of the on-site reference library
- access to the wide range of training courses offered by the MPG’s Planck Academy
- occupational health management: weekly in-house yoga classes; regular information on courses offered by our partner health insurance companies
- a student representative for equal opportunities.
The Max Planck Society is an equal opportunity employer that strives to foster an inclusive workplace. As an institute of the MPG, the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science supports a working community for all free from discrimination and harassment. We explicitly encourage applications from qualified individuals who belong to groups that are often underrepresented in the workplace due to age, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender, nationality, race, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or religion.
Please follow the links to find out more about the MPIWG’s policies on gender equality and hiring practices for people with disabilities, as well as Germany’s anti-discrimination laws as outlined in the General Equal Treatment Act.
Please submit your application with complete documents, preferably without a photograph, through our application portal. Include cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificate of enrollment, and copies of qualifications (in a single PDF file):