Media Officer (EN/DE)
DeadlineDecember 10, 2019
The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin seeks applications for the position of Media Officer (f, m, d; preferably full time, up to TVöD E13). The position will be for two years. Starting date as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will be based within the Communications and Cooperations team, and will work closely with technical staff, research scholars, IT researchers, and research coordination in presenting the Institute’s work internally and to the public. The working languages are English and German.
The Media Officer will be expected to maintain, produce, and design video and audio communications productions. S/he will be expected to work closely with researchers at the institute in order to advise them on media productions, and with the Communications Manager in order to identify new audio and video projects, in particular supporting the Institute’s research and communicating its work to historians, digital humanities scholars, and/or a broader audience. S/he will also be expected to work collaboratively with scholars and staff within and outside the Institute.
- Advising researchers on the use of media productions for research purposes and publications
- Developing suitable formats for video/audio online publishing of ongoing research in cooperation with scholars
- Establishing a workflow for creating and managing media (video, audio, images)
- Video/audio recording, post-production, and archiving, e.g., interviews, lectures, screencasts, tutorials for digital humanities databases
- Acquiring permissions for media usage (internal and external), coordinating with external service providers
- Organizing existing media (video, audio, image) from research projects in databases/website CMS and implementing search engine optimization (SEO) for the MPIWG website
- Additional tasks in related fields (e.g., supporting design and print production)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree (e.g., BA/BSc) in Media Science, Media Design, Communication Studies, Digital Media and Technology, Media Informatics, Film Studies, Music Production, Sound Technology, or comparable subject, and an additional Master’s degree in a related discipline
- Significant relevant work experience or internships
- Skills and experience in audio and video production (interviews, lectures, screencasting/tutorials) and postproduction (using e.g., Hindenburg, Audacity, Adobe Premiere Pro/Final Cut)
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (e.g., Adobe InDesign, Photoshop) and print production
- Capable of working independently and proactively, with an enthusiasm for developing new skills and the topics researched at the MPIWG
- Excellent communication skills in German and English (both written and verbal)
- Experience using a CMS (Drupal preferred) and in SEO implementation
We are looking for a highly committed Media Officer who is interested in the history of science and takes innovative approaches to media usage and publishing. A team player with strong social skills, he or she will be able to liaise successfully between researchers and other service teams at the institute.
The Max Planck Society wishes to increase the proportion of women in those areas in which they are currently underrepresented. We therefore specifically encourage women to apply. The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more disabled individuals, and applications from disabled people are especially welcome.
Please send your application (cover letter; curriculum vitae; copies of degrees and qualifications; samples of work on at least one completed film post-production project, as a link), as single PDF documents (except for the certificates, which have to be combined into one PDF) exclusively through our online application portal:
For inquiries regarding the position, please contact Ms. Stephanie Hood (firstname.lastname@example.org). For inquiries regarding the uploading process, please contact Ms. Tanja Neuendorf (email@example.com).
Max-Planck-Institut für Wissenschaftsgeschichte, Boltzmannstraße 22, 14195 Berlin, Germany