The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science Department I (Structural Changes in Systems of Knowledge), Director: Prof. Jürgen Renn, is seeking to employ an Expert in network science or the dynamics of complex systems (m/f/d) from May 1, 2021 for a maximum of three years, with a contract according to the TVöD-Bund pay scale (E13) for research in (given the final approval) the BMBF project "Socio-epistemic networks: Modelling Historical Knowledge Processes."
The research project aims to model historical developments of knowledge systems by combining the analysis of semantic changes with their coupling and feedback to sociological and institutional changes. The successful candidate will work on developing analysis methods for the historical time-dependent complex multilayer networks that result from historical case studies. To complement the existing research team, the successful candidate should have a strong focus on multilayer network analysis, complex systems analysis, or related topics in their previous research experience.
- PhD in Computer Science with a focus on complex systems theory or related fields (physics, mathematics, digital humanities, etc.); the PhD should have been completed by the beginning of the project
- Fluent programming skills in Python
- Knowledge of graph databases (RDF, SPARQL)
- Unix/Linux operating system
- Interest in interdisciplinary research at the intersection of computer science, history, and mathematics
- 100% TVöD (Bund) E13 for a maximum of three years
- Creative work environment in a world class research institution
- Independent research in an international team
The Max Planck Society aims to increase the proportion of women in those areas in which they are currently underrepresented. We therefore specifically encourage women to apply. The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more disabled individuals, and applications from disabled people are especially welcome.
The application should contain a summary of the PhD project, a list with at least one referee who will be contacted if the candidate is shortlisted, a CV including a selection of publications and a short letter of motivation.
Candidates are requested to submit their applications via our online portal.
Only submissions via this portal will be accepted. The deadline for submission is March 14, 2021 (23:59 CET).