The library regulations are as follows:
- The library of the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (MPIWG) is the central unit for research information and documentation. As a service unit for the research groups at the Institute, privileges for accessing the collections and services are restricted to members, Visiting Scholars, and cooperation partners of the Institute.
- As an internal research library, the collections and services are continuously accessible to all collaborators of the Institute, also in the evenings and at weekends. Personal support and advice are provided during office hours weekdays 09:00 to 17:30.
- All items of the printed collections—with the exception of the rare book and reference collections, single issues of journals, and newspapers—can be borrowed directly on a self-service basis and lent to the user's office. To check items out, borrowing slips are available at the library exits. Items provided by the interlibrary loan service (ILL) are automatically checked out on the user's account when they are made available on the ILL shelf.
- The library is for in-house use only. All items have to remain permanently available either at the library or in the offices. Therefore, taking books out of the Institute is not permitted. This holds for both MPIWG and ILL items. The users are responsible for all items they have borrowed.
- In cases of usage not complying with these regulations, library privileges such as borrowing or the ILL service can be revoked.
- Additional information on the usage of the library, its collections, and services is given during the regular library introductions.